The our wonderful 100yrs old hall is available for occasional hire for meetings & events. Hire includes the use of tables & chairs & kitchen facilities.
The Hall is located on the corner of Alexandra and Ady Streets. In 2016 a Memorial Wall was erected in the front yard of the Hall to take the place of a war prize, WWI German 150mm howitzer, which has been relocated to the Hunters Hill Town Hall.
Also, the RSL Sub-branch is holding a Service at 10.45 AM on Remembrance Day, 11th November, at the Memorial Wall in the grounds of the Hall.
With kind regards,
Secretary, Hunters Hill RSL Sub-Branch
In 1919, following World War 1, the Mayor of Hunters Hill, William Archibald Windeyer, called a public meeting for the purpose of erecting a hall to provide reading and recreation rooms for those residents of Hunters Hill who had served in the ‘Great War’. The meeting formed an organization known as the Hunters Hill Soldiers and Sailors Recreation Club. The first President of the Club was Dr. Norman Robertson, whose wife; Mrs. Neidham Jessie Robertson donated the land for building. The Memorial Hall was officially opened by His Excellency, the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Walter Davidson, on 30th September 1919. Public records show the Hall was built by 1st March 1921, as dated on the Deed of Trust transferring ‘the land and buildings thereon’ to the Public Trustee.
For reasons not now clear, the Club did not function as intended and it was closed by early 1923. There followed a period of use as a Public Library, with special privileges for ex-servicemen and their families. By 1942 this Library was rated as one of the best in Sydney with supplies of the latest books, and it thrived until closure in December 1947. The Girl Guides and Brownies also held meetings between 1929 and 1939, but records do not confirm these dates. It is known that the Returned and Services League occupied the Hall from 1929 onward, and in 1942 there was a move to re-form the Servicemen’s Club.
Under a Trust Deed, the formal occupation of the Memorial Hall by the Returned and Services League commenced in February 1944.
The Hunters Hill Sub-Branch of the Returned Soldiers and Sailors Imperial League of Australia was born on 16th November, 1928; at which time the Sub-Branch took over the Memorial Hall as its meeting place. Records of theses early meetings show a desire to co-operate with the Council ‘in any movement to advance the welfare of the residents of the municipality, or affecting the interests of returned soldiers and sailors’. In March 1929, the Sub-Branch supported the organisation of a march to be held in the city on ANZAC Day morning. During the years of the Great Depression of the 1930’s much of the work of the Sub-Branch was given to raising funds for welfare support of ex-servicemen, and to supplement the Hunters Hill Municipality Relief Fund. By the end of 1932, Sub-Branch membership totalled 105, and that year also saw the formation of the Women’s Auxiliary which continued until 1999. By the end of World War 2, membership of the Sub-Branch had increased, and remained steady at over 100 members for the next 40 years. These years were filled with meetings and social events, and participation in a wide range of fund raising activities in support of RSL Welfare and Benevolent Fund and Legacy. Since its beginning, the Sub-Branch has enjoyed a close working relationship with Hunter’s Hill Council, and jointly supports the annual ANZAC Eve March and Service.
On this, the centenary year of the foundation of the Hunters Hill War Memorial Hall, we are proud of the role this building has served in the community life of the people of this municipality.